7) Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?
Looking back on my progress from my first preliminary task to my final film, I would say that I can see huge developments not only in my editing skills but also the wide range of shots I used to make the film more gripping for the audience.
To begin, I feel I have become much more confident in my use of both Adobe Premiere Pro and also Adobe After Effects and I would say that I can easily edit different shots together more so than I did in my preliminary task, which I would say is evident as my film runs more smoothly than my preliminary task. In my preliminary task I made sure to make use of the 180 degree editing rule to clearly illustrate a conversation between two people. However, as my film did not include any dialogue I could not use this technique as easily, although I did use an over-the-shoulder shot as the drug dealer is counting the money which I feel was successful for what I was trying to achieve. I do feel that using the 180-degree rule in my preliminary task helped me to improve my confidence in my editing skills and also helped me understand the importance having a range of camera shots has on making the film more interesting. I feel the preliminary task helped me greatly with my confidence when filming and also gave me a good insight into what camera angles I should include to make my film opening the best it could be.
Moreover, I feel my continuity has evidently improved since I did my preliminary task as we also had to do a mundane task after the preliminary task. The aim of the mundane task was to get us to film an everyday task but to make it as interesting as possible simply by using a range of camera angles and adding in music where appropriate. For my mundane task I filmed my brother going through the everyday routine of waking up, going to the bathroom and brushing his teeth and finally making his bed. Through using a range of camera angles and music I feel I successfully made it more interesting, than it would have originally been, and I feel my confidence in editing from the preliminary task helped improve how fluent the shots fit together.
Another area where my confidence in my editing improved was when I used Adobe After Effects to add titles on top of my final film where appropriate. I also had to use After Effects to create my Ident, which would go at the beginning of the film and made it look more professional. To create this Ident I had to carefully edit several layers over each other to get the final product of it glitching. Overall, I feel this has greatly enhanced my final product and made it look more professional.